Blue Shield of California has a rate change scheduled for March 1, 2012 for Individual & Family California health insurance plans. However, rate increase does not apply to Medicare Supplement Insurance or Medigap Insurance. Blue Shield of California passed on a Medicare Supplement rate change last August and continued to pass on a rate change again for March 1, 2012.
Current Blue Shield of California Medicare Supplement rates are from 2010 and have not been changed nor adjusted. As of today, Blue Shield of California has no plan to make any rate changes to their Medicare Supplement plans.  While rates have not increased, it would be the best time to enroll in a Medigap Insurance plan so you can lock in the current rate, usually for a year, and enjoy lower premiums.
Medigap policies fill in the gaps of Medicare’s Part A and B coverage.  Remember that Medicare only pays for 80 percent of doctors’ fees even if they accept Medicare.  There are 10 different Medigap Plans and certain ones pick up that remaining 20 percent of doctor bills.  If you need a specialist who charges higher rates than Medicare covers, certain Medigap policies will cover the excess charges, too.
Our website can help you get up-to-speed on both Medicare Advantage Plans and Medigap Plans.  Use our instant quotes to immediately see how different plans are priced.  Just click our Medigap Plans tab to see some of the insurance companies offering ways to supplement Medicare and use our instant quotes to immediately see how different plans are priced.  On the Medigap Plans page, you can click “Plans A – N” on the right to read all about the benefits of each of the 10 types of Medigap Plans.  We’ll also be glad to answer your questions and we make it easy to talk to a real person at a time that’s convenient for you.'

Jim McFadden has over 11 years of executive-level experience in the health insurance industry, is a youth baseball, softball and football coach, and has one of the worst fantasy football records in the world.