Have you been surprised by a bill you thought Medicare would pay? Find out how Medicare Supplement insurance plans can end those nasty surprises.
Medicare only pays 80 percent of a pre-approved amount for doctor services regardless of what your doctor bills you. Medigap insurance can automatically pick up the remaining 20 percent for you. That’s how these supplement plans became known as Medigap plans – by filling in the gaps in traditional Medicare.
What if you need to see a specialist who doesn’t accept Medicare’s pre-approved amount? Let’s say that Medicare pays $100 for a procedure that your doctor charges $200 to perform. You not only owe the extra $100, but you also owe $20 of the $100 that Medicare does pay. In this case, Medicare would pay $100 and you’d pay $120, unless you had a Medigap policy.
Medigap Advisors can help by researching the coverage options that are available where you live. All states have some form of Medigap insurance, but the availability of Medicare Advantage plans varies regionally. Run our instant quotes to see in seconds which Medigap plans are available in your state.

Wiley Long is founder and president of Medigap Advisors, and is passionate about helping people navigate the confusing waters of Medicare. He is the author of The Medicare Playbook: Designing Your Successful Health Coverage Strategy, a clear and simple explanation so you can make the most of your Medicare coverage.